Tuesday, July 28, 2009

RF-In-The-Shack - Malfunctioning Computer

I am using a Toshiba laptop here in the shack. A few posts back I talked about using my new keyboard and mouse with an external monitor for use as a desktop computer. It really does work quite well. Having the two screens is nice. As we speak I am running HRD over on the laptop screen and typing up my post on the main screen.

However, I have run in to a problem. I have the autokeyer running CQ on 6m (50.088) and so far I have managed to crash the computer 3 times (total - in the past couple days, I am assuming from the RF) and my mouse and keyboard have managed to stop working several times just within the past few minutes.

So how am I writing this post while I am running on 6m?

Toroids!

I have a few FT-82-77's here so I figured I would give them a shot. I put one on the keyboard cable. The USB plug is too big to pass the plug through so I doubled over the wire and looped it through about 5 times. The wireless adapter for the mouse is a small thumb drive-sized receiver with a charger/usb cable extension. So I pulled the receiver out of the charger thingy and plugged it directly in to the computer.

This seems to help on the devices disconnecting. The mouse hasn't had any issues but I still have a couple times where the keyboard stops. All in all the RFI issue seems to have been minimized. I will keep trying a few things to see if I can totally eliminate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home