Monday, July 27, 2009

Mobile CW Setup

I don't know why I keep forgetting to do this, but I finally got around to taking a picture of my mobile CW setup. I installed a jack under the dash board for connecting my key to. This makes it very easy to take the key in and out - especially when I am using the FT-857D in a portable set up. Before I had the key hard wired in to the truck.



The key jack is labeled just to the left of the CB under the dash - where the green plug hooks up to it. As you see there is another hole to the left of the jack. I originally had my trailer brake controller screwed in there but it was in the way of the CB. So I pulled it out and the holes were left behind.

My key is a Vibroplex Code Warrior Jr. I really like this key. The magnetic action is pretty nice. I have it on a light setting right now, for some reason I find it easier to send that way in the truck. You would think a stiffer action would be wanted to avoid keying when hitting bumps in the road but to me the lighter action is easier. I don't knock the key around as much.

I tested out the voice recorder today in the truck also. It picks up a lot of road noise but I think it will still do the trick. I will have to do some mobile CW the next time I get a chance and see how well it does then. I tuned in to some CW on 40m while I was out and about today but I didn't work anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home