Monday, July 27, 2009

First QSO With New Recorder - HA8QZ 40m CW

This is my first QSO recording with my new digital voice reorder (a Sony ICD-PX720). I figured I would try it out in the shack to see how it works. I got it so I can log while I am on the road - instead of scratching down notes on the back of my log. The microphone is a bit sensitive, but I can adjust that to a low setting. I didn't think the low provided enough audio drive and the high seems too sensitive. Anyway, here is a QSO I had with HA8QZ in Hungary:

HA8QZ 40m.mp3

This is also a good demonstration of how the receiver in the TS-2000 is pretty well swamped here. I set the filter at 50hz and it really rings down that low, but HA8QZ was in there. It was a tough go but it was a "contact". The noise floor here is S4 right now with a filter width of 50hz.

My antenna at the moment is a loop in the attic fed with ladder line and shorted out at the tuner (both sides of the ladder line are connected to the wire port). The ground is the ductwork in the house. My random wire antenna isn't back up yet. I am waiting for my leader wire to come in the mail so I can put up the good stuff and not worry about it breaking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home