Saturday, February 7, 2009

Receiver Comparing - IC-756proIII and TS-2000, Others

First off, this is by no means a scientific comparison. Just my own observations as I perceive them to be.

I was over at Universal Radio today for the monthly QRP meeting. I decided to play around with the IC-756proIII and TS-2000 and compare them with the same signals. Both radios have a 15kHz first IF filter so I wasn't holding my breath that the IC-756proIII would realistically be THAT much different. The Twin Pass Band Tuning (PBT) and 3 filter choices on the IC-756proIII are DSP.

I believe my hunch was right - in my comparison the IC-756proIII was not noticeably different in receive sensitivity (on 40m CW). The signal to noise ratio between the signals I tuned to on both radios was very very similar. I think the IC-756proIII sounded better overall, but for a price difference of $1000 it really isn't worth it.

Now, if there is a trick feature outside of playing with the filters that can be adjusted or turned on that I didn't find in the DSP or filtering that would noticeably change the performance then that may very well push the IC-756proIII over the edge in to the higher performance class. As it sits, and as I played with it, it does not impress me.

Now I am itching more than ever to get my hands on a radio that IS noticeably different than my TS-2000 and compare the two. At this point I think that would be (current radios) an Elecraft K2, K3, Yaesu FT-2000, FTdx-9000, Tentec Omni VII, Orion II, Icom IC-7700, or IC-7800. Unfortunately, the majority of those listed are obnoxiously expensive mega high-end radios - except the Elecraft radios. The FT-2000 and Omni VII are borderline.

If you have any more information on other options, please e-mail me: kc8qvo@yahoo.com. Having never experienced the "others" (at least with the same mindset I have now - KILLING NOISE) the following is my take on following the specs of some of the others.

The Ten Tec Omni VII's specs say it is a 3-stage IF. The selectivity at the first IF is 20kHz (WOW! I thought 15kHz was high). Then the specs go on to say the second IF stage is 20, 6, 2.5 kHz standard, 500 Hz, 300 Hz, optional. This is getting better, though there is already some crap in the system that flowed right on past the first IF. I am sure that would make a big difference, though. The third, and final, IF is DSP filtering - down to 200Hz. That isn't a huge difference beyond the optional 300Hz and wouldn't affect the noise level (crap) as much as the optional 300Hz filter.

The Elecraft K3 has provisions for roofing filters down to 200Hz. I have not found which IF stage this takes place in.

I could not find any information on the K2 specs. However, from what several people have said that I have talked to in person the K2 is a VERY respectable radio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home