Sunday, January 18, 2009

New (to me) Concept in FRS Radios

I am a big fan of radio communications, quite obviously if you have visited before or choose to read further in to my blog. I am a Ham radio operator so that is my primary focus.

However, researching other communications options for a presentation I just stumbled in to this NIFTY device. It is a "MOBILE" FRS radio by Radio Shack.




The FCC defines an FRS radio as a 500mw 14 channel FM transceiver operating in the designated FRS band (around 462mHz) and having a permanent, non-detachable antenna.

For all intensive purposes this means a "walkie-talkie" - a very compact and simple one at that. I used these as a kid many years ago.

So, how can this MOBILE FRS radio satesfy the FCC requirements with the radio inside a vehicle? Having the cable between the antenna and radio would mean the antenna is detached, right?

Yes, but the trick is this: the radio isn't in the vehicle! It is in the BASE of the antenna! Note the unusually large proportion of the magnet base on the antenna. That is where they put the radio. Hence, the antenna and radio are one. Only the controls for the radio and power connection are in the vehicle.

What a novel idea!

Normally I am not a fan of Radio Shack gear. Frankly, there are just better radios out there. However, I have to give Radio Shack two thumbs up on this one. Who would have thought? It does in fact satisfy the FCC regulations, doesn't it?

Here is an article by Popular Wireless about the device. It is from 2001, so it is a bit old. I didn't see the unit listed on the Radio Shack web page either. I am not sure where to get one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home