Saturday, December 27, 2008

Les Stroud's book - Survive!

For those of you that don't know, Les Stroud is the host of the very popular show on Discovery "Survivorman", as well as being known for a multitude of other things. The end of this year marks the end of the third season of the show, and he is calling it quits. I can understand why. Going out in the wilderness with a bunch of camera gear trying to film a TV show and truly survive (find water/food, build shelter, make fire, stay warm) at the same time would take some determination. I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

Stroud compiled all of his knowledge on survival techniques in to his book titled "Survive! Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere - Alive".

I received a copy of this book for Christmas this year. It was a really cool gift as I didn't expect it but it is something I can really use and enjoy. It is not the typical book on survival. It doesn't tell a story in itself. It doesn't glorify being stuck on a raft or on a mountain. It is a guide, a manual to refer to for techniques, tools, and how-to's. Stroud says, right up front in the book, that his idea for Survivorman was to make the show as realistic as he could. By doing that he also demonstrated by real-life use how to survive. All of that is documented here in this book in a useful format.

It is not a book blown out of proportion by the fame and popularity of the TV show, and Stroud himself.

I was thinking, ironically while watching the last episode of Survivorman, that it would be really awesome to take notes on all the back-episodes of the show on all the techniques, tips, and tricks Stroud talks about and uses. The book does this, and one better - it is all organized and even has an index!

I highly recommend the book. I don't recommend it as an introduction for the first timer in to the wilderness, I recommend it as a supplement to your knowledge. You can't possibly learn everything you need to know about surviving in a book, and this one is no different. That said, if you are an outdoors type person and have some working knowledge of what it is like then you will benefit most from the use of these techniques if you ever do find yourself caught in wilderness survival. As always, plan and prepare and hopefully you won't need the book. For the rest of the time, read it and enjoy!

I am planning on getting a few more copies. One for my emergency kit in the truck and one to carry with me on trips for sure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home