Thursday, August 14, 2008

Antennas! Seen from I70 mile 142-143 in Ohio, Whos are they? Also, another update

I have been trying for the past couple of weeks to get a picture of these antennas. The first week I just HAPPENED to catch them out of the corner of my eye on my way back from Zanesville. Since then I couldn't find them until the other day. They are located on the South side of I-70 in Ohio between mile markers 142 and 143 behind a "nodding donkey" (oil pump, looks like it isn't working right now) and behind a hill. All I can see is the tops of the towers and it is still hard to pick them out - you have to be looking for them to see them, or just get lucky like I did and just happen to focus your eyes in the right spot as you scan the sky!

It looks like a well-equipped station. If you have that many towers and big antennas, and even if you had them hooked to an FT-817, it is still a "well equipped" station HI.

Does anyone have an idea whos station this is? I remember an article way back a few years on the ARRL webpage in the "Surfin" column that described a big contest station seen on the east side of the state driving on 70. The author passes it on his drive to Dayton each year. I don't think these are the same places - the one 'Surfin" mentioned was easier to see if I remember right.

Anywho, I would like to find out whos that is. I try to catch those towers every day now and dream of what it would be like to have nice antennas HI. I can't stand being in the city.....

OK, for my update. Last week I put in over 54 hours on the clock with this new site. This week is headded in the same direction it seems. I have been in overtime every day so far and it looks like the same story for today (as I am typing this it just hit 4:30am eastern time - which reminds me I need to pack my lunch, I am supposed to be on the road to the office right now). Getting up at 3:30am isn't exactly easy for me to do - I am not a morning person. Once I get some coffee in me I can survive but boy is my clock off!

I took some time yesterday to do a little fly fishing. I wen't to my favorite spot on the Scioto (hey, its close). The first fish I caught was a nice 10-12" smallmouth bass. I have never caught a fish that big down there before so that was a lot of fun. It was a well-grown one too. It wasn't real thick like a largemouth can get, but it was a real nice size. I almost had to let the line go and let the reel do it's job (rarely happens - I hand-control the line most of the time, if you fly-fish you know what I mean). Anyway, that was a lot of fun. Not much else to speak of - just another baby smallmouth and watching the wildlife (cranes, ducks, frogs jumping off rocks as I wade past).

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Steve, it's been a while since I traveled that section of road. If Google Maps is somewhat correct, the mile marker is somewhere near Gratiot. I went to usnaviguide.com (from a search) and saw five possible ZIP codes for the area you describe. I then took each of those to N4MC's ham locator at vanityhq.com. I also assumed that what you saw wasn't too far from the interstate (less than a mile). ZIP 43739 is generally too far west. There was one possibility, but he was a Technician class. 43076 and 43056 are definitely too far west. 43746 only had hams on the north side of I-70. 43760 had a few possibilities. The most likely seemed to be WE8G, an Amateur Extra. 73, Ned Raybould, N8OIF

August 14, 2008 at 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home