Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ham Radio Ring Tones - CW ID

Someone somewhere in the past year or so was saying their phone, or they knew someone who did this, had CW ID's for the people in their phone book. Well I just remembered this today and figured I would give it a shot.

I set my radio to CW and used my Sony voice recorder to record my keying. I just did the call signs once, on individual files. Then I edited the files and trimmed them so I had just the CW - the delay before and after was cut off.

My phone is a PPC-6700 PDA so I connected it to the computer with a USB cable to sync the files. I loaded the recordings to the "Rings" folder under Windows. Then I went in to my phone book and edited the people's files by selecting their call sign under the ring tones folder. Pretty cool!

It seems pretty straight forward. However, the volume of the playback on the recorded CW is pretty low. I am not sure what the deal is with that. The volume on the computer was normal when I edited the files. They are MP3's by the way. So I am not sure how to get that back up. Maybe I can boost the volume and then reload the files.

Anyway, my phone will now ring with the call sign in CW for whoever of my ham buddies calls!

1 Comments:

Anonymous K2DSL - David said...

I submitted this to QST magazine but here's a quick easy way...

An alternative that might be easier for folks is to go to http://www.planetofnoise.com/midi/morse2mid.php and enter in whatever text you want converted to morse code. You can adjust some properties to change the speed/tone and it plays it on your computer where you can save it. It also provides a direct URL to a file, so if you have a browser enabled phone (such as a Blackberry referenced in the magazine) you can go to that URL, save the file and then make it your own ringtone. Depending on the features of your phone, you can have different ringtones assigned to different contacts in your address book.

The web site above is free and there's no cost to generating as many ringtones as you like.

73,
K2DSL - David

August 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home