Saturday, September 22, 2007

OSU - School

This is a long ride I have been on for a while now. Currently I am
in the Technology Education program. How I came to this program is
because I have tried a few different programs and found out they aren't
for me. I was in an engineering program the last two years of high
school. This is what has kept me on this engineering/technology/hands-on path. I learned a lot in that program and I don't want to waste that experience.

After high school I got a 2 year scholarship to Sinclair Community College to continue on in an engineering-related field. So I took advantage of that and
decided to major in Mechanical Engineering. That is what I wanted to do
anyway - I like mechanical things the most, but I also like electronics. I also knew I wanted to go to OSU . That left me one option at Sinclair - a 2 year university parallel program that was laid out to transfer to a 4 year university. That is what I had set in writing, but in practice it worked differently.

I couldn't get in to any of the physics and basic engineering classes until I took calculus. So I had to build up my math courses to get there. I ended up not taking
calculus until the last quarter I was there, spring 06'. I had applied to OSU that winter and had already been accepted. However, once I got in to calculus everything changed. I realized how hard of a ride it was going to be and decided to do something else besides engineering. I dropped calculus half way through. It was either finish it and not have a life other than calculus (which I had other classes I needed to study for also) and MAYBE have a chance at passing, or drop and keep my GPA up. I chose to drop and move on with things.

Since I was already accepted to OSU, and that's where I wanted to be in the first place, I looked around at other options. It appeared the only other option was Industrial Design. However, the entrance process is very competitive. They only accept 18 students a year and you have to submit entrance exam/portfolio for evaluation. So I took some basic courses in design (mainly drawing, perspective, drafting) and took a chance at getting in last winter. Well, it was a LOT of hard work for nothing. They didn't accept me. So, I could either risk everything again the following year and just finish my prerequisite courses (which I have most of them completed already) or I could find another program. Since I have been in college for 3 years I decided to find another program and get going in something.

At OSU the only other program was Technology Education. To be quite honest, I
looked at the curriculum and it just looked like a program for the people who were not so smart. It looked like a way to go to OSU and get an easy degree. That's not exactly what I was after. I wanted something that applied more to engineering. The name of the program is Technology "Education" - so yes, you can get a teaching license with it. Also not what I wanted to do. However, you can get a BS degree and not teach, instead get a job somewhere. So I figured I would at least give it a try.

School has started and I have been to a couple classes. I wasn't thrilled going in
but once I sat through some class material it actually seems pretty interesting. The topics we have covered in class so far have all been ideas I have thought about before and I know about them. Even more, once I picked up the books I flipped through one (energy, power, and transportation) and every chapter of the book was something I am knowledgeable about or at least have some idea of how it works! So, that is a good thing.

The other good thing I realized is there are other people in the program
who didn't want to beat their heads against the wall to get through engineering, like myself . There are also people in here that have made quite a bit of progress in engineering, math, and physics too. So, the people in the program seem like an intelligent, cool batch of folks. I can't wait to get deeper in to the program.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home